He’s one of the best looking actors in bollywood….tall….dark…handsome….expressive, deep eyes…he’s been one of the top notch supermodels in India….he’s had a somewhat shaky start in Hindi films, but proved himself through his hard work and has today made his own place in the industry…
Arjun Rampal was born to Gwen and Amarjeet Rampal on the 26th of November in the year 1972 in Jabalpur (M.P.). Arjun’s father Amarjeet Rampal is a Sikh and Arjun’s mom Gwen happens to be a Dutch lady. Arjun hails from a high-class Ramgariha Punjabi Sikh background.
Career in Films
Arjun’s debut as an actor in Hindi movies came with a film titled ‘Moksha’ (an Ashok Mehta direction) which released sometime in the year 2001. This film however, did not release as planned, instead it was Arjun Rampal’s 2nd movie titled Pyaar Ishq Aur Mohabbat that released before Moksha. In the film Pyaar Ishq Aur Mohabbat, Arjun shared the screen with actors like Aftab Shivdasani & Sunil Shetty. Even though the first two of Arjun’s films failed to perform very well at bollywood box office, Arjun’s performance was lauded both films times by the critics. It was in the year 2002 that Arjun Rampal won his first award for the ‘Face of the Year’ at the International Indian Film Academy.
From the time of his debut, Arjun’s worked progressively in movies, if you watch his films one after another…you will see that he’s grown as an actor & as a performer…that he’s moved very gradually….inch by inch….little by little….and if you see his latest film, you will see that his acting comes out very naturally and that he looks very believable on screen….I do agree that some films have been a success whereas there have been others that failed to do so well at the box office, but I’m sure Arjun’s taken the “not so good ones” as a learning and delivered a little better in his next film.
Arjun Rampal was also a part of the Temptations 2004 gig with other bollywood stars like Rani Mukerji, Shahrukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Preity Zinta, & Saif Ali Khan.
The year 2006 saw Arjun Rampal in an extended emergence for a multi-starrer titled Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna as Jai. He also featured in a supporting role for the film titled Don – The Chase Begins Again, which was a recreation of the 1978 film Don starring Amitabh Bachchan. Arjun was seen as the character Jasjit in the film, whereas in the original film Don this role had been enacted by Pran. The 1978 original film had been one of the biggest hits that bollywood has ever seen and till date the film lives for the people in this country…surprisingly the remake of that film also turned out to be a HUGE hit!
Arjun Rampal, as we all know started off as a model…moved on to hindi films and then in the year 2006, Arjun decided to take up the role of a producer! It was with the film titled I See You that Arjun decided to act in the lead role as well as produce the film. I See You was released on the 29th of December in the year 2006. Arjun’s own company (which happens to be involved in production) by the name of Chasing Ganesha Films produced the film I See You. Mehr Jesia, Arjun Rampal’s wife happened to be co-producer for the film. The movie starred Arjun Rampal, Sonali Kulkarni ,Boman Irani & Vipasha Agarwal. The film also showcased cameos by big names in the industry like Bollywood stars Hrithik Roshan & Shahrukh Khan. The shooting for this movie was done exclusively in London. As luck would have it, this film sadly received pitiable reviews and ended up as box office failure. However, Arjun received some upbeat reviews for the villainous role he played in the film titled Om Shanti Om in the year 2007 (a Farah Khan direction), which turned out to be among the leading hits in Bollywood’s history. Also, Om Shanti Om became Arjun Rampal’s biggest hit that he’s had till date. Not only that, the film earned Arjun several honors for his performance in the film.
Seems like modeling, acting and producing wasn’t enough to keep Arjun content, he has now opened up, recently, a hotel in Delhi by the name of LAP Lounge & Party, which happens to be a joint venture with AD Singh (Restaurateur).
Arjun Rampal has been featured in the international commercial for Schweppes Drink in company with Hollywood actress Nicole Kidman. The ad was a Sir Ridley Scott production (he is the director who shot to fame with his film Gladiator) and was a Shekhar Kapur direction. Shekhar Kapur is a renowned international director who has films like Bandit Queen, Mr.India, & Elizabeth to his kitty.
In recent times Arjun became Thomas Scott’s brand ambassador. Thomas Scott is a celebrated clothing brand. It was lately stated that for the year 2010 beginning, Arjun had started to shoot for the sequel movie to the exceedingly successful recreation of the film Don, together with Shahrukh Khan & Kunal Avdana form the ABCL production amid Big B. also, Arjun will star in the next Abhisekh Kapoor movie.
The year 2008 saw Arjun featuring in the film titled The Last Lear which was a Rituparno Ghosh direction & an art house English-language film. Arjun shared the screen with actors like Preity Zinta & Amitabh Bachchan. The movie was premiered at Toronto International Film Festival. Later it was well received at several other silver screen festivals. When the movie released in India, Arjun got positive reviews for the performance.
The year 2008 also saw Arjun featuring in the film titled Rock On!!, where he played the role of a lead guitarist in a band. This performance by Arjun was widely applauded, earning him numerous awards, even an award for the Best Actor in a Supporting role at the National Film Awards in addition to the award for the Best Actor in a Supporting role at the Filmfare Awards.
In the year 2010, Rampal earned critical applause for his exposé of the character ‘Prithvi’ in a film titled Raajneeti which was a multi-starrer chartbuster by Prakash Jha. He plays the role of a politician who ends up getting married to a woman who is in love with his younger brother.
Arjun is to play the title role in his forthcoming film titled Ra.One.
On The Personal Front
Arjun was born into a family which is Punjabi & from Delhi. Arjun has a sister who is younger to him and they both were students at the Kodaikanal International School which is situated at the Palani Hills (Tamil Nadu). Gwen, Arjun’s mom was teaching at the Kodaikanal International School when Arjun and his sister were students there. Arjun later went on and pursued his degree in Bachelor’s in Economics from a greatly considered Hindu College from Delhi. Kim Sharma (Actress) happens to be Arjun rampal’s cousin.
Supermodel & former Miss India Mehr Jesia is Arjun Rampal’s wife. Arjun & mehr are blessed with two beautiful daughters named Mahikaa who was born on the 17th of January in the year 2002 and then Myra who was born sometime in June in the year 2005.
His Career Graph/ Filmography
1) Pyaar Ishq Aur Mohabbat, in the year2001, as Gaurav. Arjun was nominated for the Best Debut (Male) @ the Filmfare Awards
2) Moksha, in the year2001, as Vikram Sehgal
3) Deewaanapan, in the year2002, as Suraj Saxena
4) Aankhen, in the year2002, as Arjun Verma
5) Dil Hai Tumhaara, in the year2002, as Dev Khanna
6) Dil Ka Rishta, in the year2003, as Jai
7) Tehzeeb, in the year2003, as Salim Mirza
8) Asambhav , in the year2004, as Captain Aadit Arya
9) Vaada, in the year2005, as Rahul
10) Elaan, in the year2005, as Arjun
11) Yakeen, in the year2005, as Nikhil Oberoi
12) Ek Ajnabee, in the year2005, as Shekhar Verma
13) Humko Tumse Pyaar Hai, in the year2006, as Rohit
14) Darna Zaroori Hai , in the year2006, as Kunal
15) Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, in the year2006, as Jai in a Cameo
16) Don – The Chase Begins Again, in the year2006, as Jasjeet
17) Alag, in the year2006, in a Special appearance
18) I See You, in the year2006, as Raj Jaiswal
19) Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd., in the year2007, as Jignesh, in a Special appearance
20) Om Shanti Om, in the year2007, as Mukesh Mehra
21) Dus Kahaniyaan, in the year2007
22) The Last Lear, in the year2008, as Siddharth
23) EMI, in the year2008, as Ryan
24) Rock On!! , in the year2008, as Joe Mascarenhas. This film earned Arjun a double Winner. He won the best actor in a supporting role @ the Filmfare Awards in addition to the best actor in a supporting role @ the National Film Awards
25) Fox , in the year 2009, as Arjun Kapoor
26) Housefull, in the year 2010, as Major Krishna Rao
27) Raajneeti, in the year 2010, as Prithviraj Pratap. This film earned Arjun a nomination for the best actor in a supporting role @ the Filmfare Awards & won him the best actor in a supporting role @ the IIFA Awards
28) We Are Family, in the year 2010, as Aman
29) Yahan Ke Hum Sikander, in the year 2010
30) Ra.One, in the year 2011, as Ra.One
31) The Legend of Kunal, in the year 2011, as Veera Kunal
32) Rascals, in the year 2011
33) Familywala, in the year 2011
34) Airport, in the year 2011
35) Don 2, in the year 2011
It was Rohit Bal who apparently discovered Arjun while they were both present at the same time in a local discotheque. It was then that Rohit Bal approached Arjun & became Rampal’s mentor. Rohit Bal is the one to whom Arjun owes his entry into the world of Glamour. Arjun quickly rose to the top of the modeling industry and was also seen in a Rajiv Rai music video where he caught everyone’s notice with his gorgeous clean-cut look. Pyar Ishq Aur Mohabbat (in the year 2001), which was Arjun’s debut in Hindi films was also a Rajiv Rai direction.
Trivia- Arjun Rampal
- Announced as the society’s face of the year in the year 1994
- Apparently actors Ranbir Kapoor & Shahrukh Khan are Arjun’s best buddies!
- Arjun’s launched a Resto-Bar inside the hotel Samrat and has named it LAP. The resto bar’s been designed collectively by Rampal himself, Mehr (Rampal’s lovely wife) & Gauri Khan (Shahrukh Khan’s gorgeous wife)