Deepika Padukone Height 5′ 9″
She’s the dimpled beauty who has made the world feel her presence…be it modeling…be it ad campaigns….be it movies! This long legged beauty has proved that she was born for the glamour world and all its fame….she’s a famous sportsperson’s daughter….she’s been a supermodel….and everything she does-she does it with panache!
Deepika was born on the 5th of January in the year 1986. At an age of only 25, Deepika has been a major part of the modeling industry, a well known name in the advertising world and finally a remarkable actress. She has appeared in various Kannada, Tamil and Hindi language films. Deepika was born to Prakash Padukone (a legend as a Badminton player) and Ujjala Padukone (who’s a travel agent). Deepika chose to not pursue sports as a career and instead took to acting.
She made her debut in acting with a film titled Aishwarya in the year 2006, which was a Kannada movie. The subsequent year, Deepika was seen in Om Shanti Om which was a blockbuster and Deepika’s Hindi movie debut where she was paired opposite the king khan -Shah Rukh. This movie won Deepika her 1st ever award, the Best Debut (Female) at Filmfare Award. She consequently took up films like Love Aaj Kal in the year 2009, followed by Housefull in the year 2010. Love Aaj Kal earned Deepika the Best Actress nomination at Filmfare awards, the film Housefull surfaced as a profitable success.
Besides acting, Deepika’s also the brand ambassador for high-flying brands like Sony Cybershot, Tissot, Kingfisher Airlines & Nescafe.
Her Early Life Story
Deepika wasn’t born in India; it is Copenhagen, Denmark which is Deepika’s birthplace. Her folks shifted to India and settled in Bangalore (Karnataka) when Deepika was only about 11 month old baby. Deepika belongs to the origin Chitrapur Saraswat Brahmin, and Konkani happens to be her mother tongue. Deepika has Anisha as a younger sister who was born on the 2nd of February in the year 1991.
Deepika has studied in Bangalore at the Sophia High School, and fulfilled her pre-university study at the Mount Carmel College in Bangalore. She’s played state level badminton in High school. Nevertheless, she didn’t wish to pursue badminton further and gave it up for acting.
Her Career in Acting/Filmography Deepika Padukone Movies
|2007||Om Shanti Om||Shantipriya/|
|Filmfare Best Female Debut Award|
Sony Head N Shoulders Fresh Face of the Year Award
Nominated—Filmfare Best Actress Award
|2008||Bachna Ae Haseeno||Gayatri|
|2009||Chandni Chowk to China||Sakhi (Ms. TSM)/|
Meow Meow (Suzy)
|2009||Billu||As herself||Special appearance in the song "Love Mera Hit Hit"|
|2009||Love Aaj Kal||Meera Pandit||Nominated—Filmfare Best Actress Award|
|2009||Main Aurr Mrs Khanna||Raina Khan||Guest Appearance|
|2009||Love 4 Ever||Herself||Special appearance (item number)
|2010||Karthik Calling Karthik||Shonali Mukherjee|
|2010||Lafangey Parindey||Pinky Palkar|
|2010||Break Ke Baad||Aaliya Khan|
|2010||Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey||Kalpana Datta|
|2011||Dum Maro Dum||Herself||Special appearance in the song "Mit Jaaye Gum (Dum Maaro Dum)"|
|2011||Desi Boyz||Radhika Awasthi|
1) Aishwarya, in the year 2006, as Aishwarya. This film was Deepika’s debut in acting & was her 1st Kannada film. It was a Indrajit Lankesh direction where she was cast opposite Upendra who is one of Kannada’s leading actor.
2) Om Shanti Om, in the year 2007, where she was seen in a double role, 1st as the movie actor Shantipriya and then as a star-struck girl Sandhya (Sandy) who forever chews gum! This film brought a lot of praise. Deepika won the Best Debut (Female) Filmfare Award. Also the Fresh Face of the Year by Sony Head & Shoulders and she was then Nominated for the Best Actress Filmfare Award
3) Bachna Ae Haseeno, in the year 2008, as Gayatri where she was paired opposite the dashing Ranbir kapoor
4) Chandni Chowk to China, in the year 2009, again in a double role, 1st as Sakhi/Ms. TSM and then as Meow Meow/Suzy) where she was cast opposite Akshay kumar.
5) Billu, in the year 2009, as Herself in a Special appearance for the song titled Love Mera Hit Hit
6) Love Aaj Kal, in the year 2009, as Meera Pandit where she was cast opposite Saif Ali Khan. She was Nominated for the Best Actress Filmfare Award
7) Main Aurr Mrs Khanna, in the year 2009, as Raina Khan for a Special appearance
8) Love 4 Ever, in the year 2009, as herself in a Special appearance for an item number. This was again a Telugu film
9) Karthik Calling Karthik, in the year 2010,as Shonali Mukherjee where she was cast opposite Farhan Akhtar
10) Housefull, in the year 2010,as Sandy
11) Lafangey Parindey, in the year 2010,as Pinky Palkar, a girl who has dreams of being a dancer and how she becomes blind after an accident and still goes on to dance on skates.
12) Break Ke Baad, in the year 2010,as Aaliya Khan
13) Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey, in the year 2010,as Kalpana Datta
14) Dum Maro Dum, in the year 2011 as Herself in a Special appearance for the song titled dum maro dum
15) Aarakshan, in the year 2011 as Poorbi Anand where she is cast opposite Saif Ali Khan once again
16) Desi Boyz
17) Cocktail, in the year 2012
18) Rana, in the year 2012 which is again a Tamil film.
On the ramp
While Deepika was still in college, she pursued modeling as a career. Over a few years, deepika has been seen as the brand ambassador for Indian brands such as Dabur Lal powder, Liril, Limca and Close-Up toothpaste. She’s also been the “brand ambassador” at the retail jewelry show for Jewels of India. Deepika is the international spokesperson for a cosmetics company by the name of Maybelline.
During the 5th yearly Fashion Awards- Kingfisher, Deepika was honored the title of the “Model of the Year”. After sometime Deepika was chosen for the Kingfisher Swimsuit Calendar as one among their models in the year 2006. She won 2 trophies-“Female Model of the Year – (Commercial Assignments)” at the Idea Zee Fashion Awards in addition to “Fresh Face of the Year”. Deepika has also been chosen by Kingfisher Airlines as their brand ambassador. Later, brands like Tissot SA & Levi Strauss also made Deepika as their brand ambassador. She’s also appeared in one of Himesh Reshammiya’s video for a song titled Naam Hai Tera.
She was a part of the Greenathon Campaign by NDTV where Deepika adopted a village named Ambegaon, in Maharashtra, which had been facing major electricity problems.
In the year 2009, Deepika started writing for a weekly editorial for HT City, which is a lifestyle add-on for Hindustan Times. The columns have appeared online on a social network called Desimartini.
Deepika has been seen as the cover girl for a lifestyle magazine called Vogue for the months of May in the year 2010 and the year 2011. Deepika’s walked on the red carpet – Cannes Film Festival in the year 2010.
In 2010 (November), she was seen with actor Sonam Kapoor on the show Koffee with Karan, which is a very well-liked chat show. It was here that Deepika’s comments on Ranbir Kapoor (ex-flame) lead to huge controversies among the Bollywood’s inner-circles.
On The Personal Front
In 2008(March), Deepika started dating actor Ranbir Kapoor, who was Deepika’s co-star in the movie Bachna Ae Haseeno in the year 2008. In the year 2009 (November), ranbir Kapoor and Deepika broke up. After kepping a low profile for some time, she again surfaced and said that she was now dating Siddharth Maliya.
She’s been linked to various people like Nihar Pandya(model), Ranbir Kapoor(actor) , Mahendra Singh Dhoni (cricketer) and cricketer Yuvraj Singh.
Nominations & Awards:
Filmfare Awards Won
- Best Debut(Female) Filmfare Award for the film Om Shanti Om in the year 2008
- Fresh Face of the Year Award by Sony Head & Shoulders for Om Shanti Om in the year 2008
Filmfare Awards Nominations
- Best Actress Filmfare Award for the film Om Shanti Om in the year 2008
- Best Actress Filmfare Award for the film Love Aaj Kal in the year 2010
Star Screen Awards Won
- The Most Promising Female Newcomer at the Star Screen Award for her film Om Shanti Om in the year 2008
- The Star Screen Jodi No. 1 Award in the year 2008 with king khan, Shahrukh Khan for the film Om Shanti Om
Star Screen Awards Nominations
- The Best Actress Award by Star Screen for her film Love Aaj Kal in the year 2010
Zee Cine Awards Won
- The Best Debut(Female) at the Zee Cine Award for her film Om Shanti Om in the year2008
- The Zee Cine Award – International Icon(Female) in the year 2011
Zee Cine Awards Nominations
- The Best Female Actor Zee Cine Awards for her film Om Shanti Om in the year2008
- The Best Female Actor at the Zee Cine Awards for her film Break Ke Baad in the year 2011
IIFA Awards won
- The Best Female Debutant at the IIFA Awards’ for her film Om Shanti Om in the year 2008
IIFA Awards Nominations
- The Best Female Actor at the IIFA Awards for her film Om Shanti Om in the year2008
- The Best Female Actor at the IIFA Awards for her film Love Aaj Kal in the year 2010
Stardust Awards Nominations
- Superstar for Tomorrow – Female at the Stardust awards for her film Om Shanti Om in 2008
- Superstar for Tomorrow – Female at the Stardust awards for her film Love Aaj Kal in the year 2010
- The Best Action/Thriller Actress- Stardust Awards for her film Karthik Calling Karthik in the year 2011
- Stardust Award for the Best Romance/ Comedy Actress- Stardust Awards for her film Housefull in the year2011
Apsara Film & TV Producers Guild Award – Won
- The Apsara Film and Television Producers Guild Award for the Best Debut(Female) for her film Om Shanti Om in 2008
- The Apsara Film and Television Producers Guild Award for the Chevrolet Heartbeat of the Nation (Female) in the year2010
Apsara Film & TV Producers Guild Award – Nominations
- The Apsara Film and TV Producers Guild Award for the Best Actress – Leading Role for the film Love Aaj Kal in the year 2010
The Asian Film Award nominations
- The Best Actress at the Asian Film Awards for the film Om Shanti Om in 2008
- The Best Actress at the Asian Film Awards for the film Chandni Chowk to China in the year 2009
- Sabsey Favourite Nayi Heroine at the Star’s Sabsey Favourite for her film Om Shanti Om in 2007
- The Best Female Newcomer at the HT Café Film Awards for the film Om Shanti Om in 2007
- The Glam (Female) Debutant at the Reebok Zoom Glam Award for the film Om Shanti Om in the year 2008
- The Breakthrough (Female) Role at the Annual Central European Bollywood Award for the film Om Shanti Om in the year 2008
- The Sabsey Tez Sitara at the Star’s Sabsey Favourite for her film Bachna Ae Haseeno in the year 2009.
It might sound paradoxical, but Deepika never desired to become an actress as a child. She says that the desire to be a part of the flamboyant film industry never crossed her mind. Today, as she had never dreamt, Deepika’s one of the most prominent & talked-about actors.
Deepika played badminton on a regular basis till she was in the tenth grade and was also a state level player. Even though she followed in her father’s footsteps, she gave up on the sport and pursued modeling.
While she was still in college, Deepika had numerous modeling offers coming her way. Initially it was television ads and print where she was seen….it was much later that big brands made Deepika their brand ambassador.
It was under Anupam Kher’s guidance that she learned acting and Shiamak Davar was the one under who she learned dance.
When Farah Khan (Bollywood director) first approached Padukone, the project was a movie titled ‘Happy New Year’. This project crumbled and then Deepika signed for the movie titled ‘Om Shanti Om’.
Her favorite Bollywood actor is Shah Rukh Khan. Among others, she loves Aamir Khan, Richard Gere, Johnny Depp, Amitabh Bachchan & Brad Pitt.
Her favorite Bollywood actresses are Sushmita Sen, Madhuri Dixit, Hema Malini, Aishwarya Rai, Rani Mukherjee, Kajol, Juhi Chawla and Sri Devi.
Her younger sister Anisha plays all games, except for badminton!
Deepika loves eating, sleeping, music, and watching cinema.
She enjoys playing tennis, a little basketball, baseball & throw ball.
Her Favorite designers (Indian) are Manish Malhotra , Rohit Bal & Tarun Tahiliani.