She’s popularly known as the Bold & the Beautiful girl of the 20th century….she’s a well known face in the bollywood industry….be it item songs…be it television shows….be it talk shows….be it as a performer…be it as a T.V. host….trust me I can go on and on….
You probably have a fair idea by now who I’m talking about….it’s none other than our much talked about “controversy” queen- Rakhi Sawant.
Rakhi’s Early Life
This lady was born into a Hindu Marathi family on 25th November, 1978 in Mumbai. Rakhi’s father was the ACP at the Police Station in Worli and worked with Mumbai Police. Jaya Bagdi is Rakhi’s mother’s name. Rakesh Sawant, a film director is Rakhi’s brother and Usha Sawant, a former actor is her sister. Rakhi belongs to a conservative and old-fashioned family and as expected Rakhi’s father wasn’t too thrilled when he got to know that his daughter was stepping into the film industry in order to establish herself professionally. In Rakhi’s father’s opinion, Bollywood was a disrespectful line of work.
Rakhi Sawant attended school at Goklibai High at the Vile Parle neighborhood in Mumbai. From there, she went on to the Mithibai College (Mumbai) to study further in the division of Arts.
Rakhi’s Career Chart
Debut as well as breakthrough
Rakhi was just a fourteen year old the time she did her opening item number, in the year 2000, for the film “Joru ka Gulam”, opposite Govinda. Sawant’s biggest triumph came in 2003, when she starred in “mohabbat hai mirchi”, the popular item song in the motion picture “Chura Liya Hai Tumne”. This is where Rakhi proved that she wasn’t the kind of person to get bogged down by failures or pressure. She had to audition more than a couple of times before she finally had the part in her kitty.
So we see that while she was still a little kid in school, Rakhi shot to fame. Suneel Darshan, a well known bollywood director, was the one who had proposed to cast Rakhi Sawant in a small dance sequence opposite Govinda.
Ever Since, Rakhi has featured in a number of bollywood films. She dint stop at that, Rakhi has more than a few Marathi, Telugu, Kannada, and Tamil movies in her kitty, but she has more of an “item girl” tag attached to her. Rakhi has explored more areas in her professional life, she’s also marked her presence in several videos and music albums.
Television unveiling and achievements
It was June 2006, when a high-flying Punjabi singer, Mika Singh, kissed Rakhi forcibly when she was present at the musicians birthday bash, and this turned out to be one of the biggest media hullabaloo.
A couple of months after this controversy, Rakhi appeared on one of the grandest reality shows on television by the name of “Bigg Boss” for their first season, and like she always amazes everyone, she was one of the last four contestants. As usual, in this phase of her life too, drama was the big part of her life. She became the center of attention for the dramatic brawls with her housemate in big boss.
Rakhi was a part of Nach Baliye 3, where she paired up with her former boyfriend Abhishek Avasthi. She won’t disappoint you….don’t worry! Well, this couple filed a case against the channel Star Plus after they lost in 2007 against Aamir Ali and Sanjeeda Sheikh, who won the contest. The couple accused Star Plus of having tampered with the viewers voting systems.
In the year 2007, Sawant made her debut in the area of singing with the album that was launched under Venus Records and Tapes Pvt. Limited and was titled as “Super Girl”. The video (from the album) called “Yarra Na Dil Laga” features Sawant as a super girl that saves civilians from different adversities.
In the year 2008, there was a show by the name of Yeh Hai Jalwa, which was aired on the TV channel 9X. It was a reality show, dance-based, and Rakhi won the show. In was later in 2008 (November) that Rakhi chose to appoint internet branding, senior journalist, publicist and marketing specialist Flynn Remedios for handling her branding and Media needs.
Moving onto the year 2009, Rakhi was seen in a reality show by the name of Rakhi Ka Swayamwar on Imagine TV, where she was to select a husband. Rakhi Ka Swayamwar became the chief rated show ever in history for this channel. Rakhi chose Elesh Parujanwala, based in Toronto (Canada) as her to-be life partner. These two were then seen as a couple on the TV serial Pati, Patni Aur Woh, where the two had several problems and eventually separated because they couldn’t cope with their irreconcilable differences.
Rakhi has also been seen as a Judge on the reality show Rakhi Ka Insaaf, where she solved problems that a common man faces. This show was later banned from being aired after a participant committed suicide.
Rakhi was seen as an affiliate of the international film and television club for Asian academy of film and television. She has also given a performance for the Indian Cricket League during the second Finals (dated November 15th 2008).
- In 1999, Rakhi worked in the films Dil Ka Sauda, Kurukshetra and Joru ka Ghulam.
- In 2000, Rakhi worked in the film Jis Desh Mein Ganga Rehta Hain.
- In 2001, Rakhi worked in the film Ehsaas: the Feeling.
- In 2002, Rakhi worked in the films Na Tum Jaano Na Hum.
- In the year 2003, she was seen in the films Om, Chura Liyaa Hai Tumne, Patth, and Aanch.
- In 2004, Rakhi worked in the films Gambeeram, Masti, Paisa Vasool, Saatchya Aat Gharat (a Marathi film), and Main Hoon Na.
- In the year 2005, she was seen in the films Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena, Khamoshh…Khauff Ki Raat and Mumbai Express.
- In the year 2006, she was seen in the films Malamaal Weekly and Hot Money.
- In 2007, Rakhi worked in the films Shootout At Lokhandwala, Geleya (A Kannada Film), Journey Bombay To Goa: Laughter Unlimited, and Buddha Mar Gaya.
- In the year 2008, she was seen in the films 1920, Krazzy 4, Gumnaam: The Mystery, Drona, Dhoom Dadakka.
- In 2009, Rakhi worked in the films Dil Bole Hadippa, Drona (a telegu film), Muthirai (A Tamil Film).
- In the year 2010, she was seen in the films Horn Ok Please and Marega Salaa.
- In the year 2006, Rakhi Sawant was seen in big boss (1st season) on Sony TV, and jeena isi ka naam hai on Zee TV.
- In the year 2007, Rakhi Sawant was seen in let’s talk on Zoom TV, aap ki adalt on India TV, comedy ka badsshah-hasega india on Sony TV, nach baliye 3 on Star Plus, koffee with karan (season 2) on Star One and baa bahoo aur baby on Star Plus.
- In the year 2008, Rakhi Sawant was seen in yeh hai jalwa on 9X, the Rakhi Sawant showz on Zoom TV, dus ka dum on Sony TV, chota packet bada dhamaka on Zee TV, jalwa four 2 ka 1 on 9X.
- In the year 2009, Rakhi Sawant was seen in arre deewano mujhe pehchano on Star Plus, nach baliye 4 on Star Plus, boogie woogie on Sony TV,, Rakhi ka swayamwar on NDTV Imagine, pati,patni aur who on NDTV Imagine, lux perfect bride on Star Plus and aap ki adalat on India TV.
- In the year 2010, Rakhi Sawant was seen in zara nachke dikha (2nd season) on Star Plus, big moss (4th season) on colors, Rakhi ka insaaf on NDTV Imagine and jubilee comedy circus on Sony TV.
- In the year 2011, Rakhi Sawant was seen in sheela,shagun and meenakshi on star news, shaadi 3 crore ki on NDTV Imagine, maa exchange on Sony TV, big toss on india TV, comedy circus 3 ka tadka on Sony TV, boogie woogie on Sony TV, rattan ka rishta on NDTV Imagine anf ghazab desh ki ajab kahaaniyan on NDTV Imagine.
Rakhi Sawant has also tried her hand at music. Her Super girl CD falls under the category of world beat. It’s been made under the label phantom and released on 26th April, 2007. Here’s a list of tracks on the CD:
- Yaara Na Dil Laga
- Haseenon Se Tum Dil
- Oh Move Ur Body Now
- Yaara Na Dil Laga (Instumental)
- Marjanwaan Dhol Mix
- Yeh Zameen Gaa Rahi Hai Remix
- Yeh Mera Dil Ratro Mix
- Yaara Na Dil Laga Dhol Mix
- Shola Jo Bhadke Ratro Mix
Rakhi’s father walked out on the family and lives alone. On the other hand, Rakhi has taken it upon herself to support her family. She, along with her brother, provide for the Sawant family now.
Rakhi’s real name is Neeru Sawant. She’s five feet five inches in height and is 43 kgs in weight. She is single and can speak in Hindi and English.
Rakhi Sawant’s music video by the name of Pardesiya became an enormous hit. She loves to spend time at home and often visits the famous Siddhi Vinayak temple. Rakhi dislikes night life and so she doesn’t go out too much to discos or pubs.
Rakhi is known for her outspoken and sometimes “loud” attitude, her courage, her spirit and most importantly her “controversial” image. It’s up to you now, like her….love her….dislike her….the one thing you won’t be able to do is ignore her!